O.L. Vrouw ter Eik
A vintage postcard of the interior of the chapel of Our Lady of the Oak in Meerveldhoven, the Netherlands.
The site has been a place of pilgrimage since the 13th century, when a small statue of Mary miraculously returned to the oak tree on three occasions after a local farmer had taken it home.
The altar of the Madonna del Pozzo (Our Lady of the Well) in the church of Santa Maria in Via, Rome.
The small image of Mary came to light after the overflowing of a well during the night of 26 and 27 September 1256. Pope Alexander IV had a chapel built in honour of this miraculous event. The current chapel dates from 1591 and is located to the right of the entrance to the church.
Water continues to flow from the well, which is distributed to visitors in small cups and bottles. The shrine is sometimes referred to as ‘la piccola Lourdes’, or little Lourdes.
The church of Santa Maria in Via is located close to the Via del Corso, one of Rome’s main shopping streets. It is common for shoppers to pop into the chapel to drink a cup of miraculous water and for a moment of prayer before the Madonna. It is one of those places where the love of the Roman people for Mary really becomes apparent; men and women of all ages find joy and comfort in the small miraculous image of Our Lady of the Well.