Santuario Madonna del Divino Amore
A vintage postcard of the shrine of the Madonna of Divine Love near Rome.
Mass being celebrated in the basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico-City, some time in the early 20th century.
A vintage postcard of the church of Notre Dame de Bonsecours in Nancy, France. It was built in the 18th century in Polish rococo style.
The interior of the Italo-Greek church of Santa Maria di Grottaferrata in Rome.
The interior of the sanctuary of the Madonna del Suffragio in Recco, Italy.
The facade of the church of Our Lady of Sorrows in Vienna.
Kapel in ‘t Zand
A vintage postcard of the interior of the pilgrimage chapel of Our Lady in the Sand in Roermond, the Netherlands.
The miraculous statue of Mary stands on a special throne in front of the high altar, which would be placed in the chapel during the month of May.
The Porziuncola chapel in the basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Assisi, Italy. It is the place where the Franciscan movement first started.
According to tradition the first chapel was built in the 4th century by hermits from the valley of Josophat in the Holy Land, who brought relics from Mary’s tomb. This shrine was known as both Our Lady of the Valley of Josaphat and Our Lady of the Angels, which is believed to be a reference to Mary’s assumption.
In 1208 the chapel was given to St Francis and his community. It was in a bad state and the friars immediately took to restoring the small shrine, thus making it the first Franciscan church in history.
The interior of the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria in Rome. The church is famous for Bernini’s sculpture of Saint Teresa in Ecstasy.
The basilica of Santa Maria della Salute, Venice.
The interior of the shrine of Santa Maria Consolatrice (Our Lady of Consolation) in Turin, Italy.
(Source: Flickr / hen-magonza)
Kapel Onze Lieve Vrouw van Gaverland
An early 20th century postcard of the interior of the chapel of Our Lady of Gaverland in Melsele, Belgium.
On the altar stands a small statue of Mary. It was found under a linden tree in 1511 and has been an object of devotion ever since.