The miraculous icon of the Mother of God of Krystynopilska, venerated in Chervonohrad, Western Ukraine.
The icon has been venerated in the town’s Basilian monasetry since the 18th century. During the communist era it was taken to Warsaw for safekeeping, where it was exposed for veneration in the church of the Assumption. In 1994, when religious freedom was granted again in Ukraine, the icon was brought back to Chervonohrad.
A Russian copy of the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, the patroness of Poland.
A copy of the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Ostra Brama in Vilnius, Lithuania.
It is truly right to bless thee, O Theotokos
A 19th century Russian icon of the Theotokos Dostóino Yesť, dedicated to most important hymn to Mary in Eastern Orthodoxy.
An Ethiopian icon of Mary, based on the image of the Salus Populi Romani venerated in the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.
The image became the standard depiction of Mary in Ethiopia when the Jesuits brought copies of the Roman image to the African country. Soon it came to replace all traditional Ethiopian depictions of Mary, some of which had existed for many centuries. The Jesuits were expelled from the country in 1633. The icon they brought however continues to reproduced by the Ethiopian Church to this day, with copies in almost every church and Christian home.
The Byzantine icon of the Madonna Avvocata in the cathedral of Spoleto, Italy.
A holy card of the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Constantinople venerated in the basilica of Santa Giustina in Padua, Italy.
According to tradition the icon was painted by St Luke and miraculously survived the iconoclasm that took place in Constantinople in the 8th and 9th century.
A late 19th century icon of the Mother of God of Kazan from St Petersburg.
S. Maria di Grottaferrata
The miraculous icon of Mary venerated in the church of the Basilian abbey in Grottaferrata near Rome.
Miraculous Image of Our Lady in the Camaldolese monastery in Krakow
REGINA EREMITARUM - ORA PRO NOBIS (from Our Lady Queen of Hermits)
An engraving of the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Máriapócs, Hungary.
The icon, which is currently kept in St Stephen’s cathedral in Vienna, became renowned in 1696, when it is believed to have wept in front of eye witnesses. The village of Máriapócs remains an important place of pilgrimage to this day, especially for the Greek Catholic community of Hungary.